Saturday, September 17, 2011

Animal Map

A fun way we kicked off the state study that Holly is starting is by creating a large map of the animals in the United States. I had found a great printable already completed from Confessions of a Homeschooler that broke down animals in regions of our country. While a general poster would have been fun, I think this visual of seeing them in certain areas of our country worked a lot better for Holly.

We started by tracing our country from a large wall map we own onto butcher paper. Then Holly cut it out, I helped in the great lakes area... it was complicated and took a while to cut the whole map out. She is not used to cutting something so large on paper that tends to roll up on you while you are working. After it was cut out we took the sheets of animals and she broke them down into areas ( I had premixed them up). Using her skills from mapping she placed them in their respective regions of West, South West, Mid West, South East and North East. Next we trimmed them all out and she glued them down nicely. She really took her time on this project, it was a couple of hours from start to finish - however, it turned out beautifully! Something to be proud of and she really got a good idea of where some animals might live in various regions of our country. A different way to look at a map of the United States.







6 comments:

  1. That did turn out beautifully!!! I love how you can see at at glance where the animal's habitat is -- what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Thanks for sharing. I am pinning it right now. Stopping over from Science Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to keep this in my idea box!! Great idea!


    BTW, I have tagged you in a post over at my blog. http://gardentenders.blogspot.com/2011/09/home-meme-from-her-to-me-to-you.html

    It's just for fun!

    See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids would love this. WHat a great way to incorporate animals into your geography studies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from HHH. What a great idea! My daughter would love this! We are getting ready to study the 7 continents and I might try doing this for the continents. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete